The Lowitja Institute International Indigenous Health and Wellbeing Conference
Identity | Knowledge | Strength
8, 9 & 10 November 2016, Melbourne
The conference theme Identity | Knowledge | Strength translated into a unique opportunity for delegates to:
- celebrate Indigenous knowledges in a safe and strong cultural space
- share wisdom and stories, and learn from Elders and each other
- learn about the best science, practices and solutions
- participate in exploratory and difficult conversations and leave the conference with new perspectives and expanded methodologies
- connect and enrich engagement with colleagues and peers
- build and enhance opportunities for partnerships across research, policy and community
- craft a strong statement to inform action and influence national and international Indigenous health and wellbeing agendas
- enjoy a rich and varied art, performance and social program
- leave the conference inspired and energised by our identity, knowledge and strength to drive individual and collective work that benefits Indigenous peoples.
The comprehensive conference program included keynote addresses from national and international experts and a range of modalities to showcase delegates’ work: concurrent, individual and joint presentations; posters; interactive workshops and panels such as traditional healing and yarning circles; Elder-specific and family-specific events as well as for men and women.
We thank our Australian and international Indigenous and non-Indigenous colleagues whose expertise and interests are in Indigenous health and wellbeing. We trust that community organisations, leaders and individuals; researchers; students; policymakers; service providers and health workers found this a rewarding and inspiring conference.